We know that there is much to learn beyond the walls of the school, which is why our students regularly attend field trips. We have been to:
- National Aquarium in Baltimore
- Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
- Maryland Science Center
- Maryland Historical Society
- Baltimore Blacks In Wax Museum
- Baltimore Museum of Industry
- Druid Hill Park
- Sharp’s at Waterford Farm
- Clark’s Elioak Farm
- Giant Food Stores
- Toby’s Dinner Theater
- National Cryptological Museum
- National Smithsonian Institute Museums
- Kayam Farm at Pearlstone Center
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
In addition to trips in our local area, we have also gone on national trips visiting other Muslim schools across the country. Some of the schools we visited were in:
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Tampa Bay, Florida
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Kansas City, Missouri
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Richmond, Virginia
2016-2017 Field Trip Highlights
- On May 24, 2017, the students in grades 1 to 6 visited the Desert Sorbet manufacturing plant in downtown Baltimore. Students were able to watch the product being made and taste a sample of the delicious sorbet. Tawheed Community Development is operated by one of the parents of the ICS, Brother Rasheed Abdul Aziz, and the organization employs several ICS students and alumni.
- On March 2, 2017 the school grades 4-12 visited the well sought after National Museum of African American History & Culture.
On January 17, 2017, students in grades 7-12 went to see “Hidden Figures”, a movie that tells the stories of African-American female mathematicians who worked at NASA in the 1950s and 1960s. These women, who were called ‘colored computers’, were instrumental in computing the trajectories and orbits of the early space missions of the United States. They proved that higher Mathematics is not just for a particular ethnic group or a particular gender.
- On October 11, 2016 we visited Clark’s Eliok Farm in Clarksville, MD
View a slide show of some of our trips and activities:
2015-2016 Field Trip Highlights
- In October 2015 the 1-3rd grade visited Clark’s Elioak Farm
- 5 the 1-3rd grade visited the Maryland Science Center
- The students in grades 7-12 visited the National Cryptological Museum on May 19, 2016. The students and staff participated in deciphering a long cryptogram and learned the history of ciphers and codes. The tour of the museum highlighted the history of deciphering and included many interesting exhibits such as the Enigma and the Navajo Code Talkers of World War 2.
- On May 31, 2016, grades 1-6 visited the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. Everyone enjoyed seeing the animals and riding on the zoo train.
View a slide show of some of our trips and activities here: