In 1977, a group of Muslim women, some of them not even mothers yet, decided to begin a school for their Muslim children at Masjid as-Saffat on Myrtle Avenue. The school was named Madrassah As-Saffat and opened with nine pre-school students. The school was renamed Islamic Community School in 1982 when it moved to its present location at 1335 W. North Avenue. The ICS continues to operate under the auspices of Masjid As-Saffat
The purpose of the Islamic Community School is to develop students who openly express love for Allah and freely choose to surrender to His will as their way of life. We seek to educate youth to understand and submit to Allah by teaching them Islam as a way of life, not just a religion.